Doug Silver is a portfolio manager at Orion Resource Partners, an alternative investment management firm with $6 billion in assets under managements. Before Doug’s role at Orion, he built and sold two royalty companies. One of them, International Royalty Corporation (IRC), he sold to Royal Gold for $745 million. Doug is a member of the mining hall of fame as a result of the many successes that he has had throughout his career.
In this conversation we discuss:
- Doug’s interesting path from zoology to geology and his family’s meteorite crater.
- Bridging the gap from a technical background to finance.
- What was behind Doug’s infamous geological database.
- How IRC started, and what the royalty space looks like today.
- What prompted the sale of IRC?
- What role does Private Equity play in mine finance today and the challenges ahead.
It is not every day that you get to sit down with someone like Doug. I hope you enjoy our conversation as much as I did.